Oculus designs Funky Pigeon iPhone app
31 August 2011
Online greetings and personalised card service Funky Pigeon was acquired by WHSmith in 2010, with the aim of growing the brand to become number one in the marketplace.
WHSmith wanted to enable users to create unique greetings cards on the go and to encourage repeat visits. It asked Oculus to present ideas for the design of an iPhone app, including details of the user experience and information architecture.
To be successful, this free app would have to be fast and easy to use. We delivered in-depth wireframes and a description of the user journeys and interactions including ‘gestures’ native to the iPhone (such as pinching and horizontal scrolling). WHSmith loved our concepts and we designed and created all the graphical elements before handing these to the offshore development team that builds and maintains the Funky Pigeon website.
The app oozes functionality. For example, users can:
- Upload, scale and position their own photos directly from their iPhone or iPod Touch
- Edit multiple text areas on the card
- Preview the finished card
- Send the card to themselves (with an extra envelope) or the intended recipient on a chosen date
- Check the status of their order and account history
- Set reminders for important occasions
The app went live in July 2011 and will be launched to iPad and Android devices later in the year. Online comments already suggest it’s what Funky Pigeon users have been waiting for.